Monday, August 20, 2007

Settling down with Ella

Ella is now 5 days old. She sleeps a lot during the day but can't say the same about the nights. She woke up every hour the 1st 2 nights since she arrived home. Last night, she finally slept for 4 hours. I was overjoyed. Was it just a one time deal? We'll see.

Liam was camping with his Chinese school friends the whole weekend. Kieran and I missed him a lot. It was the first time he was away for more than 1 night. At first we thought it was good that he didn't have to deal with the hourly crying at night. Last night was the first night he was sleeping at the house with Ella next door, he said he didn't hear anything. I guess this kid knows how to filter out noises. Lucky guy.

The feeding is not going too well, Ella is not getting enough breast milk so we need to supplement a bit with formula so she doesn't continue to lose weight. She was down to 5 lbs 15 ozs this morning at the checkup. Other than the weight loss and the jaundice, the doctor thinks she seems alert and healthy.

Kieran has been making meals which is great. I don't really feel like cooking and probably don't have the energy to do so with the lack of sleep. My plan for the time being is to eat, nap whenever I can and enjoy Ella. I love holding her and her baby smell. She is smiling a lot (probably gas but it really doesn't matter) and very cuddly.