The early bird
After telling all my friends that I was going to be induced this Sunday, Ella made an unexpected and even earlier entrance on Wednesday.
I went to my morning swim at the Y after dropping Liam off for a play-date with Al. I felt a few contractions after the 1st 4 laps and decided to quite after 16 to be safe. I figured pregnant women wouldn't be very welcome if my water broke while I were in the pool. Seeing that the contractions weren't painful, I didn't know what to expect so I went shopping at Costco. I bumped into Jeannette and the girls, we talked about going out Thursday night for her birthday and maybe dropping in to see them later in the afternoon.
After lunch I started to feel stronger contractions. I timed them and hey they were 6-7 minutes apart. Hmmmm... So I asked Yao to give me a ride to the hospital, still thinking I could be sent home. I arrived at the hospital slightly after 3pm. The nurse checked and I was 2 cm dilated, she figured it could be a while before I am ready. I told Kieran we have plenty of time and he should go home first to get the car. He took the bike to work as he always does so he had to first bike home but what's the hurry right? Well he made it to the hospital at 4:30pm and Ella was born at 6:08pm after 15 minutes of pushing. It was a great relief to have Kieran there. I was in a lot pain when he arrived. He reminded me about the cho cho train breathing that I had forgotten, that seemed to help quite a bit. Life definitely took a better turn after he arrived. Of course, having the anesthetist there 15 minutes later helped too.
The birth experience was very different from our last. Much shorter for sure. I thought the contractions were more painful but Kieran just thought I suppressed the pain of the last birth. I got the epidural this time but only after 1 hour of very painful contractions because the anesthetist was stuck in a c-section operation. Like my friends told me, the difference was day and night after getting the epidural. Overall, it was good birth experience. Most importantly Ella was born healthy.
After a day in the hospital, I'm pretty well rested. Ella is feeding and sleeping well. We got the birth certificate application notarized at the hospital. There is no changing our minds now. Our daughter is named Ella Kaelyn Sherlock.
Liam came to see his sister the same evening around 9, he was very happy and excited to hold her. He also thinks the hospital food is pretty tasty. Go figure.
I went to my morning swim at the Y after dropping Liam off for a play-date with Al. I felt a few contractions after the 1st 4 laps and decided to quite after 16 to be safe. I figured pregnant women wouldn't be very welcome if my water broke while I were in the pool. Seeing that the contractions weren't painful, I didn't know what to expect so I went shopping at Costco. I bumped into Jeannette and the girls, we talked about going out Thursday night for her birthday and maybe dropping in to see them later in the afternoon.
After lunch I started to feel stronger contractions. I timed them and hey they were 6-7 minutes apart. Hmmmm... So I asked Yao to give me a ride to the hospital, still thinking I could be sent home. I arrived at the hospital slightly after 3pm. The nurse checked and I was 2 cm dilated, she figured it could be a while before I am ready. I told Kieran we have plenty of time and he should go home first to get the car. He took the bike to work as he always does so he had to first bike home but what's the hurry right? Well he made it to the hospital at 4:30pm and Ella was born at 6:08pm after 15 minutes of pushing. It was a great relief to have Kieran there. I was in a lot pain when he arrived. He reminded me about the cho cho train breathing that I had forgotten, that seemed to help quite a bit. Life definitely took a better turn after he arrived. Of course, having the anesthetist there 15 minutes later helped too.
The birth experience was very different from our last. Much shorter for sure. I thought the contractions were more painful but Kieran just thought I suppressed the pain of the last birth. I got the epidural this time but only after 1 hour of very painful contractions because the anesthetist was stuck in a c-section operation. Like my friends told me, the difference was day and night after getting the epidural. Overall, it was good birth experience. Most importantly Ella was born healthy.
After a day in the hospital, I'm pretty well rested. Ella is feeding and sleeping well. We got the birth certificate application notarized at the hospital. There is no changing our minds now. Our daughter is named Ella Kaelyn Sherlock.
Liam came to see his sister the same evening around 9, he was very happy and excited to hold her. He also thinks the hospital food is pretty tasty. Go figure.

<< Home