Monday, July 25, 2005

Chop, Chop

I went to see my surgeon today. So the scoop is that my collarbone (clavicle) is broken again and my Coracoclavicular Ligament is torn. The good news is that it does not seem nearly as painful as last time (or my pain tolerance is much higher!)

Here is a picture from Gray's anatomy of the shoulder that shows all these bits.

The surgeon wants me to repeat the procedure (August 17th is penciled in). I'll need to think about it and maybe get a second opinion. If I don't do it I will end up with a bump on my shoulder (no more shoulderless dresses for me :-) and maybe with a weak left shoulder; the doctor says that many patients who decide not to have the surgery come back feeling that their weak shoulder just hangs there. But if I do fix it, what are the chances that I'll have yet another repeat visit a year or two from now?