Ouch!
Just over two years since I last crashed on the bike, it happened again.
Saturday morning I was doing a group ride called "The Spectrum Ride", that tends to be pretty fast and a little crash prone. I tend to avoid it due to that later characteristic, but this time decided to do it to get myself back into shape after my vacation.
About 20 miles in, just before the turnaround sprint while in the middle of the pack I hit a fist sized rock, blew out my front tire, went over the handle bars and landed on my left shoulder. Immediatly on sitting up I uttered a few choice expletives and just knew my collarbone was gone again. A teammate called 911, I got a fire truck, a police car and then an ambulance ride to Stanford ER.

It looks like that my allograft was displaced or torn so I now have this big cliff on my shoulder. I'll go see my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow or as soon as I can and see what he recommends I do with it.
The pain is much lower intensity than last time, and I have much more mobility, but I fear more surgery is ahead of me if I want to get full range of motion back again.
Saturday morning I was doing a group ride called "The Spectrum Ride", that tends to be pretty fast and a little crash prone. I tend to avoid it due to that later characteristic, but this time decided to do it to get myself back into shape after my vacation.
About 20 miles in, just before the turnaround sprint while in the middle of the pack I hit a fist sized rock, blew out my front tire, went over the handle bars and landed on my left shoulder. Immediatly on sitting up I uttered a few choice expletives and just knew my collarbone was gone again. A teammate called 911, I got a fire truck, a police car and then an ambulance ride to Stanford ER.

It looks like that my allograft was displaced or torn so I now have this big cliff on my shoulder. I'll go see my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow or as soon as I can and see what he recommends I do with it.
The pain is much lower intensity than last time, and I have much more mobility, but I fear more surgery is ahead of me if I want to get full range of motion back again.

<< Home