First post
The very first post to the thamlock blogspot blog, now that PacBell screwed up thamlock.com.
It turns out that PacBell just moved the phone line, not the DSL line. What this now means is that we need to cancel the old DSL account, order a new DSL line, and then wait 2.5 weeks to get it installed. Doing this we loose our static ip address that we have had for the last 6 years - it is impossible to get a single static ip now with PacBell. Totally incompetent.
On the bright side, I think that I will stop running our own servers. We have email and URL forwarding so that we can keep thamlock.com alive. But I am using gmail.com as my mail server (why should I maintain sendmail, spam filters etc when someone else will?), blogspot as the blog server, geocities for HTML pages and smugmug as our photo server. The latter being the only one that we actually have to pay for.
It turns out that PacBell just moved the phone line, not the DSL line. What this now means is that we need to cancel the old DSL account, order a new DSL line, and then wait 2.5 weeks to get it installed. Doing this we loose our static ip address that we have had for the last 6 years - it is impossible to get a single static ip now with PacBell. Totally incompetent.
On the bright side, I think that I will stop running our own servers. We have email and URL forwarding so that we can keep thamlock.com alive. But I am using gmail.com as my mail server (why should I maintain sendmail, spam filters etc when someone else will?), blogspot as the blog server, geocities for HTML pages and smugmug as our photo server. The latter being the only one that we actually have to pay for.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home